Thursday, November 8, 2012

Next steps

As I mentioned a couple of days ago, I have decided to hire myself.  I typed my last post and immediately designed my own business card.  I decided to offer my creative services independently.  There was a very minor snag in my plan, but nothing I couldn't find my way around. 

Here's the deal...

A few weeks ago, I volunteered to make the best funeral program imaginable for someone that was very dear to me.  Because her death was very unexpected, there was a lot to take care of in a very short amount of time.  I gathered all of the photos that the immediate family wanted to include, and I began my work.  I took my time to edit the tone and contrast of the older photos, cropped the images, and worked on the perfect layout.  I must say that because I knew her, I thought that it would be rather hard to look at pictures of her past, but it actually helped me in my grief.  I almost felt like I was behind the camera in each of the the shots.  I felt very honored to contribute my time and services to a family that I love in their time of need.  I thought that I did a great job on the funeral program, and apparently so did everyone that attended her service.  This of course ignited my entrepreneurial fire.  I decided that I could create funeral programs. 

So here's the problem that I faced when designing my business cards.  How do I design a business card that will show my design capability, while at the same time remain somber as a means of sympathy towards grieving individuals?  This was something that I definitely had to get around.  I didn't want to limit myself to designing funeral programs, nor did I want to exclude the task either.   I decided to keep the colors to a minimum, but used rounded edges as a means of standing out.  I am really looking forward to my cards arriving next week so that I can hit the ground running.  

No comments:

Post a Comment